Friday, February 07, 2014

Get Your Guest's Real Email Address


One low annual fee to advertise your home on HomeAway with No Commission or Booking Fees!

With the advent of Commission based listings from the likes of Holidaylettings, Homeaway and Flipkey, you will not automatically get the real email address of your guests.

A case in point arose recently. Someone who had stayed at my apartment in Nice, France last year contacted me again: she had been so happy with the apartment, she wanted to book again this year. After some exchange, I generously included a discount on what she had paid last year and thought we had agreed the booking.

However, it turns out the email address she was using to contact me was actually a Holidaylettings.co.uk email address. ( This wasn't apparent to me, because she showed up as "Jane Doe" in my inbox.) Hence, there was a slight dilemma: she wanted to book through Holidaylettings.co.uk , but I had not included the booking fee of 5% ( let alone allowed for the 3% commission) in the rates I had quoted to her.

Of course, what I should have done last year was to make sure that I exchanged real email details with ALL my renters who booked through Holidaylettings.co.uk .

In fact, it's probably good practice to send a follow up email to all guests who rent your apartment to confirm they enjoyed their stay, to exchange email contact details and tell them that, if they contact you directly next time, you will be able to offer them a special price.

That's what I intend to do this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be nice, only HL and probably other sites will not allow you to send your real email address to the guest, and I suspect, will not allow the guest to send their real email address to you. So how can you get their real email address?

Unknown said...

It's a good point, but there are several ways. For example:

1. Get the renter to call you or email you from their personal email address when providing key pick up information

2. Leave flyers in the vacation rental with your email details and specify if they contact you, you will arrange a discount for next year

Adrian Everton said...

HL do actually allow you to access the renter's email address once they have paid the initial deposit, so there is no real problem.