Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Homeaway allows search by renter reviews


Advertise Your Vacation Rental


The topic of renter reviews is one that divides vacation rentals owners. Although positive reviews can be help build trust among renters, one bad review can seriously damage the vacation rental owner's business. The fact the these renter reviews are subjective and often unfair only adds to the problem.

Nevertheless, Homeaway have added the ability for renters to search based upon the number of reviews your vacation rental property has received. This is likely to give owners who encourage feedback from renters a significant advantage in finding renters. Therefore, it is at least worth thinking about utilising this feature.

According to Homeaway, the advantages of renter reviews include:

1. Reviews increase trust and credibility: Your guests read reviews from past guests for reassurance.

2. Travelers rely on them: 77% of online shoppers use reviews when making purchase decisions (Jupiter Research).

3. Travelers can sort by reviews: This gives homes with more reviews increased visibility with travelers looking for their next vacation home.

4.Reviews let guests promote your vacation home: More than 95% of reviews are positive

What do you think? Are the benefits from positive reviews worth risking receiving potentially damaging reviews?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You say:
"The fact the these renter reviews are subjective and often unfair only adds to the problem."

Please help me understand how a review, which is subjective, (that's the whole idea,)can be "unfair" and only add to a problem?

I am inclined to think that reviews are opportunities for improvement; nothing more, nothing less.

If a VR owner gets a crappy review, well, obviously they deserved it, nothing more, nothing less.

Hopefully the VR owner will take the information, communicate in the open about it and relay the results openly as well.

Thanks,
Terry Gronenthal
www.vacation-rental-info.com

Anonymous said...

I don't worry about negative reviews; my problem with site reviews is more and more portals are wanting them and are offering incentives for having them (like moving up in search order). The problem I have is asking my guests to post a review on 5 or however many portals that want reviews. That's ridiculous and I'd never do it. I suppose you could allow owners to post, but how subjective is that?

I have many guest reviews and they are posted on my website. Maybe I'll have to think of a better way or be hurt by portal reviews.

Jennifer Elliott
www.danasandsvacation.com

Twain Harte Vacation Rental Guy said...

More features the better. :)

Craig
WWW.Vacation-Rental-Wonderland.com

Anonymous said...

yesterday a guest came to our VR. Guest had ordered our airport pickup. At 10 am they arrived.

My staff waited in the apartment from 12 till 19 pm.

Never the guest rang, knocked on the door. They disappeared.

I suppose: They didn't like the area, or maybe the colours or whatever.

As this guest didn't call I even can't suggest another apartment.

And this people will be allowed to review my VR ? What's about the 7 hours my staff waited for them ?

Where can I review guest, that's what I want to know.

Anonymous said...

I think it would be a good thing if other websites followed the example of Homelidays and give the property owner a chance to review the guests. This would help to eliminate potential undesirable guests from accessing a property. If they have damaged a property previously, they could then be blacklisted.

Anonymous said...

I think all those positives are true. Let's not forget that we as Renter Owners also have tools available to us to evaluate the renter!

As a rental owner, I know that we sink a lot of money, time, blood, sweat and tears to creating our homes. It only takes one bad apple to ruin it all.

Don't take that chance! Rate your renters so other owners have more visibility.

Lee
www.VacationRenterRatings.com